New To This

Hi Everyone. I have umm’ed and ahhh’ed about joining this page or sending a message for a while. Like many, I have an alcoholic parent - my Mum- since I was about 6. I’m now 25. I have always found it really difficult to connect with people who don’t understand what it’s like to grow up in that environment. People try and understand, but unless you’ve been there, you can’t. My mum has been tee total now for 2 and a half years, and is now eligible for a Liver Transplant after getting herself to end stage liver failure, encolapothy, TIAs, you name it. I find it unfair that she has caused all this damage to herself and gets rewarded for it. My main issue, is the lasting effect my mums addiction has had on me. The way I interact with people, or form relationships. The rejection and abandonment issues I deal with every day. When I was in the worst period of this, there wasn’t a NACOA, or a support group - not widely discussed anyway. I find a lot of my behaviours and the way I think are a result of my childhood and it’s hard to know how to heal from these. Just hoping there’s others out there that feel the same? O

Forums: