I'm concerned how much my Dad is drinking... how should I approach him?

I am 22, about to finish university with plenty of opportunities ahead of me but I am so very worried about my parents. Mum got diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago and it shook up the whole family, accentuating the already deep rooted problems in my parents' marriage. 2 years on and with less communication than ever they seem to be lonely.

Forums: 

Suicidal Alcoholic Mother

Still unsure.

I'm still unsure. My dad is high functioning and bipolar. Sometimes I try to convince myself he doesn't have any addictions. I struggle a lot with feeling hurt. He says he loves me, but then keeps on doing it. He goes back and forth and it's reay confusing. My mom was in a coma a while back and was in the hospital for a month. the night she came home my dad locked himself in the upstairs bedroom and drank. He's not violent, I never feel threatened. Mostly it's like being abandoned.

Forums: 

What now?

Hi everyone,

By now I see that my story is not that unique. Alcoholics wreak havic on the lives of those closest to them. I will share my story with you and then I hope you can share with me ways that have helped you heal and move past this mess that you didn't create and build a better life. I'm really sad and need some encouragement.

Here goes:

Forums: 

Help please

Once my sisters were born he stopped for a while, but he has recently started again and it has gotten so bad that it's started to affect everything.

My mum has started talking about them splitting up, my dad is talking about going into rehab and I'm worried that my sisters are going to open their mouths and tell their school everything.

I have gone into severe depression and it's starting to affect school, people have been asking me whats wrong and I never say anything. 

I'll come home everyday, run up to my room and cry... I just don't know what to do anymore.

Forums: 

[Trigger Warning] Mum's parasuicide attempt when drunk.

Mum is an alcoholic. One evening, incredibly inebriated she attempted suicide after screaming at me and for the first time ever, getting physical. I am physically much larger, so I pushed her off me and she screamed that I was attacking her. We continued to fight (according to my older sister, I have blocked majority of it out) and she told me she was going to kill herself because of me.  Due to the context surrounding it, her phsycologist agreed that it was a parasuicide attempt. Recently, she has been threatening to do it again, particularly last night.

Forums: 

my story

Hi, when my mum was 8 years old she was anorexic and continued to be until 22 years old. She then switched from anorexia to alcoholism and prostitution. And now she is an exercsie addict and is an anorexic bulimic and is addicted to exercise. She had me when she was 20 and had split up with my dad, but her other boyfriend (my sister's dad) used to beat her up and I remember some of it. I always used to see men walk in and out of the house and knew something wasn't right.

Forums: 

My story part one

I lost my father to alcohol July 2006 when I was 16. The official cause of death on the death certificate was alcoholic liver disease, he drank himself into the grave. I hated him for this for a long time. How could a father choose alcohol over his own family. And in my case why was his family still buying it for him. You see my father was sofa-ridden, his distended stomach prevented him leaving the house yet my brother (then 18) and my mother would still bring him alcohol if he asked.

Forums: 

My story part one

I lost my father to alcohol July 2006 when I was 16. The official cause of death on the death certificate was alcoholic liver disease, he drank himself into the grave.

Subscribe to RSS - depression