The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service


There is no lower or upper age limit to be affected by your parent's drinking and sometimes the problems only become apparent in adulthood. You can be affected regardless of whether you are still living with them, whether they are still drinking or even if they are still alive or not.

You can be a child of an alcoholic at 1 or 101. Whatever your age, it doesn't change the fact that your parent, step-parent or carer is, or has been, dependent on alcohol, along with the problems this brings.

These pages offer information and advice that we hope will help. You are not alone and Nacoa is here to help and support you.

To find out more see Help & Advice.

If you are concerned about someone else who is affected by their parent's drinking, you may find our Concerned others & professionals section more helpful.

If you're concerned about your own drinking please read Help for People with Alcohol Problems.

You are not alone

Remember the Six "C"s

I didn't cause it I can't control it I can't cure it I can take care of myself I can communicate my feelings I can make healthy choices

Hide this page